Saturday 6 December 2014

New flavour materials

As part of my ongoing fascination with natural botanical materials, I came across these potentially useful extracts! I prefer all-natural methods of flavouring beers, such as using real vanilla beans in secondary, so these really fit the bill very well. They are essentially plant extracts obtained using the new supercritical CO2 technology. CO2 is liquified under pressure, which acts as a solvent to draw out the volatile aromatics of the raw botanical material. The CO2 then evaporates, leaving behind the aromatic compounds. Some large brewing companies are already using CO2 hop extracts in their beer, and there's such a nice range of stuff. 

I bought some CO2 extracts of cocoa that smells simply heavenly!! Will try them in a stout next. Also, I'm eyeing the butter CO2 extract. Finally, a proper shot at making butterbeer ?? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;