Sunday 24 March 2019

No-chill Hop Additions

As most of you may know, I have been brewing exclusively using the Aussie No-Chill method. Classically, you the hot wort into a HDPE container (the "Cube"), I simply distrust hot plastic too much to do that now. Instead, I use a Corny keg. Yes, you end up with a 19L batch instead of the full 5 Gallons. But on the other hand, having near-to boiling wort in there for this length of time effectively pasteurizes the entire keg as well! A few precautions though, in case you're looking to do this as well:

1) After closing the Corny keg lid, pump some CO2 into it to pressurize the keg. Kegs are meant to take internal pressure, not vacuum. I've seen the inner lining warp before.
2) The keg will be HOT. (Not that a HDPE plastic container won't be ...) Seriously, write huge warning labels and block easy access to the keg while it is cooling down.

Anyway, one thing about No-Chill is that it theoretically messes up with your bitterness/IBU calculations and aroma/flavour hop additions. So far I've been horrible at adjusting for that, and I've yet to see any good data reflecting actual lab-based IBU calculations for No-Chill additions. However, I stumbled upon this lovely chart from Brusolophy. Neat!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;